Mercy Career & Technical High School is a sponsored ministry of the Institute of the Sisters of Mercy of the America
and is a member of Mercy Education.
Founded in 1950 by the Sisters of Mercy, the school has educated thousands of young men and women from North Philadelphia and the surrounding neighborhoods. Mercy Career & Technical High School offers the finest in career and technical education and training in an environment that promotes spiritual values, moral development, and service to others.
Conceived originally as Mercy Technical School, the school moved in 1972 from its original location at the corner of Broad Street and Columbia Avenue to its present location at 2900 West Hunting Park Avenue. At that time, the Sisters of Mercy and the Archdiocese of Philadelphia recognized that the school must not only change its physical site but also adapt to changes in the marketplace by offering a high school diploma to each of its graduates.
In 1973, Mercy Vocational High School was born and grew its reputation for excellence in teaching workplace values and vocational education.
In 1982, the school was recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for American Private Education as one of sixty exemplary private high schools in the nation.
In 2016, Mercy Vocational High School became Mercy Career & Technical High School.
Since 1998, Mercy has been recognized by the PA Cooperative Vocational Education Association for having been the recipient of more post-secondary scholarships than any other vocational high school in Pennsylvania.
Mercy Career & Technical High School was re-accredited by The Middle States Association in 2014.
Mercy Career & Technical High School was featured in a US News and World Report article featuring the importance of Career & Technical Education (CTE) in 2014.
Mercy CTE is recognized by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia as a valuable alternative to a comprehensive academic program, providing an environment that is safe and conducive to learning.