The Health Occupations CTE Program prepares students for healthcare careers. Students learn about the various careers in the healthcare industry, CPR, first aid, EKG testing, phlebotomy, and Nurse Aide Training. Beginning in the Fall of 2019, the students will also learn to be a Medical Assistant.
Mercy CTE is the only high school in Philadelphia to offer a PA approved Nurse Aide Training Program.
Mercy CTE’s program offers more hours than other nurse aide training programs. The extended laboratory practice and clinical exposure ease the transition from high school student to healthcare worker.
During the first semester of senior year, students qualify to sit for the Pennsylvania Nurse Aide Certification examination. Upon passing the exam, students are licensed by the State of Pennsylvania to provide care to patients in healthcare fields and can then work for a long-term care facility as part of the Cooperative Education Program.
- Pennsylvania Nurse Aide, CPR, and First Aid, OSHA 10
- 98% of the Health Occupations students have earned Nurse Aide certification since testing began
- Full-time or part-time employment in nursing homes such as Philadelphia Protestant Home, St. Ignatius Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, and Saint Joseph’s Villa
- Four-year colleges such as Gwynedd Mercy University, LaSalle University, and University of Pittsburgh
- Two-year colleges such as Community College of Philadelphia