Mercy Career & Technical High School students complete three years of science to graduate.
All freshmen are taught Physical Science, our sophomores are given Biology and Life Science, and the juniors are instructed in Earth Science. All of these concentrations are taught to enhance the career and technical choice a student makes. Each of these subjects provides pertinent information that complements a student’s chosen field.
As a further benefit, our freshmen receive Physical Education and Health. Both these subjects, coupled with the core science curriculum, enable our students to become well rounded, well trained, and well prepared. Their science studies help our students become not only productive but also educated members of society
- Grade 9: The Physical Science curriculum is designed to build the general science knowledge of the students. Concepts are taught in relation to molecular behavior and application to everyday examples. The major focus of Physical Science include the following areas of study: scientific method, motion, energy, machines, state of matter, waves, light, electricity, acids and bases. Students are able through the use of their netbooks, textbooks, and experiments to better understand Physical Science and how it applies to everyday living.
- Grade 10: Biology Students discover science as an inquiry as they investigate the nature of life. Topics such as cell structure and function, genetics, evolution, plants and the human body are discussed in a way to enhance critical thinking skills and to provide associative skills for personal and social perspectives that may influence future decision making. Experiments support and enhance classroom discussion, as well as stimulate students to analyze and make assessments.
- Grade 11: Studies Earth Science/ GeoScience. GeoScience is the study of the Earth and the Universe surrounding it. This study includes geology, the solid earth, oceanography, meteorology, atmosphere, weather, energy, natural resources, rocks, minerals, and astronomy. Students are able through the use of their netbooks to explore many of these topics to have a better understanding of the goals of GeoScience. Demonstrations, experiments, and Internet sites create an active approach to discovering the Earth.
- Grade 9: Health: Students explore many topics in Health class that relate to their physical, mental/emotional, and social health. The topics explored during class include stress management, nutrition, skills for healthy relationships, male and female reproductive systems, endocrine system, sexually transmitted diseases/infections, communicable diseases, and tobacco, alcohol, and drugs, The students will take notes, have classroom discussions, work on projects, have homework, tests, and quizzes to enhance their learning.
- Grade 9: Physical Education: Students will participate in a wide variety of sports and activities including, but not limited to, the following: pilo polo hockey, badminton, volleyball, cooperative games, creative dance, ballroom dance, line dancing, basketball, soccer, speedball, mat ball, yoga, physical strength training, flexibility, cardiovascular endurance, and prison dodge ball. Students are encouraged to work as a community with their classmates in a safe, fun environment.
The science courses at Mercy CTE are aligned with standards from several resources:
- National Science Education Standards
- Pennsylvania Department of Education
- Archdiocese of Philadelphia Office of Catholic Education