Mathematics teachers at Mercy Career & Technical High School maintain current knowledge of the standards through participation in professional development at Mercy CTE, the Archdiocese of Philadelphia Office of Education, and professional organizations such as the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
Students study four years of Mathematics and earn four credits. Mercy CTE follows the Common Core Standards for Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II.
- Grade 9: Students study Algebra I. This course includes a study of real numbers and polynomials, linear equations and inequalities, the coordinate plane, systems of linear equations, quadratic functions, rational functions, and radical functions. Real-world applications are used to demonstrate concepts.
- Grade 10: Students study geometry. This course is designed to help students understand the basic structure of Euclidean Geometry and develops spatial visualization and deductive reasoning skills. Topics include fundamental definitions and properties of lines, angles, polygons, and circles, congruence, similarity, methods of proof, area, volume, and coordinate geometry. Constructions and transformations are optional topics that may be addressed. Emphasis is placed on logical reasoning and algebraic relationships in geometry.
- Grade 11: Students study Algebra II. This course builds on the concepts learned in Algebra 1. It includes a study of data representation, linear and quadratic functions, linear and quadratic inequalities, systems of linear equations and inequalities, polynomial functions, as well as rational and radical functions. The topics of exponential and logarithmic functions and probability are introduced. Real world applications are presented and discussed.
- Grade 12:Students study Consumer Math. This course focuses on skills needed to make good financial decisions. Students learn about credit, income tax, mortgages, credit cards, stocks, bonds, and saving for retirement. They also spend time learning about the insurance industry and the potential careers in insurance.
The Mathematics courses at Mercy Career & Technical High School are aligned with standards from several resources in mathematics, consumer science/personal finance, and technology. These are:
- Common Core State Standards in Mathematics
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- Pennsylvania Department of Education
- Archdiocese of Philadelphia Office of Catholic Education
- National Educational Technology Standard for Students and Teachers