Mathematics teachers at Mercy Tech maintain current knowledge of the standards through the Archdiocese of Philadelphia Office of Education, and professional organizations such as the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
The Mathematics Courses at Mercy Tech are aligned with standards from:
- Common Core States Standards in Mathematics
- Pennsylvania Department of Education
- National Educational Technology Standard for Students and Teachers
Students study four years of Mathematics and earn four credits. Mercy CTE follows the Common Core Standards for Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II.
- Algebra I. A study of real numbers and polynomials, linear equations and inequalities, the coordinate plane, systems of linear equations, quadratic functions, rational functions, and radical functions.
- Geometry. Understand the basic structure of Euclidean Geometry and develops spatial visualization and deductive reasoning skills. Topics include fundamental definitions and properties of lines, angles, polygons, and circles, congruence, similarity, methods of proof, area, volume, and coordinate geometry. Emphasis is placed on logical reasoning and algebraic relationships in geometry.
- Algebra II. Builds on the concepts learned in Algebra I. It includes a study of data representation, linear and quadratic functions, linear and quadratic inequalities, systems of linear equations and inequalities, polynomial functions, as well as rational and radical functions. The topics of exponential and logarithmic functions and probability are introduced.
- Consumer Math. skills needed to make good financial decisions. Students learn about credit, income tax, mortgages, credit cards, stocks, bonds, and saving for retirement. They also spend time learning about the insurance industry and the potential careers in insurance.
Ms. Liz Dowling
Ms. Melissa Goodwill
Mr. Ralph Price